Meet the creative: The Goose Beary Shop

Friday, October 17, 2014



Name: Joy Niehaus
Brand/Company: The Goose Beary Shop



Tell us about your creative background. When I was pregnant with my oldest daughter I had to quit my job and stay off of my feet as much as possible. I was super bored so one day I talked my husband into taking me to a local quilt shop. I walked in and told the ladies I had no sewing machine and no sewing experience but I wanted to make something for my daughter. They walked me through how to hand piece a quilt. Sewing it together was pretty easy, but trying to quilt by hand was a pain so I borrowed my mother-in-law’s sewing machine. I loved it and a few months later my mom gave me a sewing machine for Christmas.Most of what I do is self-taught. I would spend hours on line searching for tutorials and patterns (this was before the days of pinterest).

How did you end up doing what you do now? When my oldest daughter was turning two I wanted to get her a Waldorf Doll for her birthday. I couldn’t afford one though so after hours and hours of reading vague tutorials online I bought some super cheap materials and made her one for her birthday. It was horrible! But we still have that silly goofy looking first dolly named “Annie”. 



After that first doll I was hooked. I probably made a dozen or so dolls out of cheap materials before I got up the courage to buy the really nice all natural materials and make my first true Waldorf Inspired doll. 



All the other things I sew have similar situations. I saw something I loved and couldn’t afford so I learned how to make it myself. I know try to price my items so that those who aren’t inclined to make their own can still afford quality handmade items. 

What is your favorite thing you have every created? I get attached to all of my dollies. I think the two things I loved the most are a mermaid I made for my daughter because she and I picked out the fabric and yarn together after she begged me to make her a mermaid. I had NO idea how to do it and I told her that. Her reply was “But you can make ANYTHING!” It gave me the ump to try something new. I also love a quilt I made for myself. 




Are you working on any new projects or learning any new techniques? I’m ALWAYS trying to grow and change and learn. My newest project is some beautiful bags that I’m hoping to have available soon. It had a lot of techniques I had never tried like recessed zippers and gussets. 

Where if your favorite place to create? It changes season to season. My sewing machine is currently in our basement so I can sew while the kids play. My favorite place to do hand work though is in a giant chair by our front window. 



What inspires you most?
My kids and friends. Almost everything I have ever learned how to make is because someone sends me a picture and says “Can you make this?” I’m also really inspired by colors and patterns. My favorite part of creating is picking out fabric patterns and yarn colors and making something beautiful out of them. 




What is your creative soundtrack?
This changes season to season as well. A lot of time I have a season of White Collar or Gilmore girls on in the back ground. Musically I listen to a lot of J.J. Heller. Pretty soon I will start listening to Christmas music as I prep for Holiday shows. 

What do you love most about what you do?
I love making something beautiful for other people. My favorite part is when I get photos or emails from customers of a doll being loved on by a little one. It is hands down the highlight of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs